In Memory of Lawrence King
Home Guestbook Photo Gallery Memorial Fund Forums Angels Contact Us
Forum Home Forum Home > Anti-Violence and Tolerance Forum > Groups and Organizations
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Don't Laugh At Me/Operation Respect

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Woodstock View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Woodstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don't Laugh At Me/Operation Respect
    Posted: Oct 03 2008 at 11:24am
  Are people familiar with the Don't Laugh At Me (DLAM) project founded by Peter Yarrow of  the great folk group Peter, Paul and Mary? Its now Operation  Respect.Org.

"Don't Laugh At Me" is a song from PP&M'sd album In These Times which came out in 2004. Its opening verse is : "Don't laugh at me, don't call me names/don't get your pleasure from my pain/In God's eyes we're all the same/some day we'll all have perfect wings/don't laugh at me." And goes on to cite examples of those who may face prejudice. A truly great song. The  album also contains a song about Matthew Shepherd "Jesus is on the Wire"( a subject also addressed by Melissa Etheridge in her song "Scarecrow.").

Peter  Paul and Mary have been addressing issues of humanity and social justice since  they appeared with Dr. Martin Luther King at the  1963 March on Washington. The curriculum packet is a must have for educators working with issues of tolerance and justice.

Would like to see Aly and Aj do that song, as they addressed the issue so well in their song "Sticks and Stones."

Stellina99 View Drop Down

Quote Stellina99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2009 at 11:50pm

Hi,

I really like this forum.

Snoreta

Cora View Drop Down

Quote Cora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2009 at 12:32pm
Thank you for posting this information. I hope all people find it.

Cora
Cora Shaw

Lawrence King Memorial Group: http://lawrencekingmemorialgroup.blogspot.com/

My Main Blog: http://craftygal1965.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply