Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Message to Larry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shai View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote shai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Message to Larry
    Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 6:38pm
You had the strength to wear lipstick, mascara and jewelry to school, despite being assigned to the boy's locker room. That cliche - the world wasn't ready for you - unforgivably, true.

The reverend called you a complex masterpiece, and he was correct. Your pictures tell a story as eloquently as Miles Davis's trumpet. You skate like a princess in the rink's frozen waters; your cool shades have you looking extra hard south of the border. Whose idea was it to cut your long wavy tresses? Did you pick out those 1st-day-of-school hott purple suspenders? I wonder whether you got in fights with your mama over the pink gloves you wore on your trip to DC. You were both handsome and beautiful in your camo shirt (sans your two front teeth!).

I wish there were better words to for me to use, so I didn't have to pick a gender to describe you. Because I  would have been happy to know you regardless of your pronoun preference. Boy, girl, both or neither, you deserve to be here right now, sharing your voice's cadence; to realize all your dreams and dazzle us with your brilliance; then to grow old, sit in your rocking chair and tell people what it was like when you danced in your high-heeled boots at EO Green Junior High. We should all have gotten the chance to know you better. We could have learned something.

I hope the child who killed you comes to understand how special you are. I hope he realizes how scared he was of your sacred elegance, and he falls to his knees each night for forgiveness.

_____
there's a war
if the guns are just too tall for you
we'll find you're something small to use

- Lupe Fiasco, Little Weapon
alexxisbiifuplease View Drop Down

Quote alexxisbiifuplease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2008 at 12:16pm
if you hate anybody
you are simply afraid
its not tough or brave to fight
this is the kind of thing that shouldnt ever happen ITS THE CUASE OF GENOCIDE
[
HATE WILL KILL US ALL
HallwayHeroes View Drop Down

Quote HallwayHeroes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 2:11pm
Astoundingly beautiful...

Thank you.

Jenn Burleton
Portland, OR
Lawrence's courage to express himself should guide and inspire all of us to work hard everyday to provide a safer world for children like Lawrence to grow up in. This is what I am committed to. Peace.
AWatchfulMoon View Drop Down

Quote AWatchfulMoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2008 at 1:10am
Beautifully written. 
joose6 View Drop Down

Quote joose6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2008 at 7:35pm
Shut up, morons.  His "courage" got him murdered.
belovedreborn View Drop Down

Quote belovedreborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2008 at 9:44pm
joose6

Joose,

Dude, I can only begin to wonder what demons and fears are driving you.  But I know you!  You live in fear every moment of everyday that you will be found out.  You are terrified that if you are found out someone will do to you what that terrified young man did to Larry.  Take heart, you do not need to be afraid.  Come on out of whatever closet you've got yourself stashed in and know that you can live without fear and without hate.

A'A I ka Hula, Waiho Ka Hilahila, I Ka Hale
("Live with passion, EMBRACE CHANGE, Do not fear it" )
BRIGHT BLESSINGS,
Amanda
FightHate View Drop Down

Quote FightHate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2008 at 6:53pm
Joose,
What your saying is ridicules.
Would you say the same thing if a friend was standing up for you if you were getting teased and your friend got killed.
Would you still say that in such a derogatory tone.

Because of this boy's courage he went to school every day knowing what would await him.

So before you start any other problems I suggest you put yourself in his shoes.
Imagine what it must be like to have people hate you because of the clothes you wear, the way you talk or the gender you like. It would be a living nightmare. So yes, Lawrence had a lot of courage... to be himself. And if you can't accept that there is something wrong with you.

Prejudice Bites.
Bite Back.
Woodstock View Drop Down

Quote Woodstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2008 at 6:37am
A beautiful thoughtful message, Shai.
 I am reading this today on the anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings. Another case where hate and violence brought suffering and sorrow.
 "Joose" I don't see why you feel it is necessary to come on this board where people are grieving and say such mean-spirited things.
 Recently the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. passed. Could  say that he  got killed because of his courage. Would you call his admirers morons too?
River_56 View Drop Down

Quote River_56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2008 at 6:09am
Very touching! So sad, this violence against this boy (and all others).
averi View Drop Down

Quote averi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 4:09pm
how could you say that joose
i was best friends with larry and we were like brother and sister
i cried for weeks because of what happened
yes he got killed
and yes you may say he had no courage
but he came everyday to our school with love in his heart
and he knew that people hated him but he refused to let that bother him
he would have never said something like that to you
so think about it and think about what we all went through
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>